Saturday, January 28, 2012

28mm Napoleonic French Dragoons, 18e Regiment de Dragons


(Originally posed on the Home page January 22nd, 2012)
I've been plugging away at this regiment of French Dragoons since the beginning of the Challenge.


These are 28mm Perry plastics which I very much enjoy working with and highly recommend. At first it may seem a little daunting putting them all together, but once you get the process and a rhythm they assemble pretty quickly.


Their flash pink facings aside, 18th Regiment of Dragoons were very much a meat-and-potatoes 'working' cavalry regiment. In the early Empire period they participated in many of the major engagements (Austerlitz, Jena, Friedland) and then from 1808 to 1813 they saw hard service in the Peninsular campaigns.  They missed the Grande Armee's destruction in Russia, but were recalled to Germany where they were burned-out during the 1813 and 1814 campaigns for France.

This is the first time I've tried doing eyes on an entire unit...

I love painting Napoleonic cavalry but I find its the trumpeters that often make me 'snap my crayons'. Nonetheless, as French cavalry go, Dragoon trumpeters are pretty plain as they usually did not go overboard on reverse facing colours, gold braid, etc. but the ubiquitous chequered lace is always a challenge. Later this year I plan to do-up a Hussar regiment and I'm girding my loins for painting its trumpeter as those buggers' uniforms are insane.


While I was in the midst of assembling this lot I knew I would be running out of gas on painting Dragoon Green once these were done. So I broke down and commissioned my third regiment from a painting service. I hope to have that unit ready soon, touch them up ('cause I can't help myself) and base them to match this lot. Then I'll have a full brigade of the blighters, 72-figures strong, which should look the business arrayed on the tabletop.

Again, here's that loon Ney, leading the 18e and 1er regiments to Glory and some sticky end...

Next up will be an assortment of casualty/unit stands.

7 comments:

  1. A beautiful looking unit!! The trumpeter looks very nice, very well painted Sir!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look absolutely fantastic! Great work, and I like the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll second and third Mssr's R and Hill. Super cool stuff. I'm working on the 18th Dragoons in Perry plastics as well- yours are an inspiration!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Foss, I hope you have as much fun painting them up as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Heavy Cavalry. Splendid Painting. BB

    ReplyDelete